Monday, September 8, 2008

In the spirit of Father's Day

888DAG.com

I thought I'd post part of one of my favourite Birthday cards from my Dad. I cherish all the old, yellowing, dog-eared pieces of paper that hold the beautiful words he penned.

I received this one for my 15th Birthday, a year before my Pappy died of cancer.

"Far from you but closer than ever.
Every moment in my mind a portrait of silent, all-accepting, indescribable beauty.
My thoughts a flight of scattered wondering birds in the midst of nowhere, but there - in a desert of broken mirrors - your face promising the fulfillment of all a thirsty human being might wish for - The Sphinx of Hope!
You are becoming an excellent, unique woman and I am so proud of you and happy that I can call this gift of God my daughter."

I still miss my father terribly 12 years after his death. I'm so glad I have his letters. They comfort me and guide me in his absence.

11 comments:

Lise said...

You did the wise thing keeping his letters! Beautiful to read!

DJMissUniv3rs3 said...

so beautiful miss charlie - you are a truely amazing person

pommygran8 said...

It is also weird when you see someone on the street who walks like your dad did or has a mannerism like he had and you do a double take...strange and comforting at the same time as the memories flood back when you least expect it...you never stop missing your parents!

888 The Av 'n Gav Show 888 said...

What lovely words, great that you have kept them.

EyeOfTheLeopard said...

How beautiful, it brought a tear to my eye.

wackyapparition said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wackyapparition said...

That was one of the most amazing things I've read EVER! Thank you for sharing that with us Madame S. < insert all the other mind boggling things I also wish to say here because they wont all fit >

sydhappyguy said...

Witnessing Synesthesia in action. From a yellowed card in a treasured box to my heart through my Blackberry on a train sitting at Cologne station. Thanks so much for sharing such a special and personal story with us - the rest of your family. X

Victoria Clark said...

Charlie, this is beautiful. It's clear where you get your talents as a word smith from. Big hug xxx

Glinda said...

Wow, Synesthesia - just read this. My father died at 86 and that was tough enough. It's clear your dad is still with you though. Keep shining the way you do.

yolA said...

oh charlie, such a beautifully written letter for such an amazingly beautiful girl. You truley are a gift to us all and aunique woman that only gets better with age. A definite chip off the old block... lots of love always & forever xxxxx