Monday, October 13, 2008

Happy Birthday, Mummie.

Those of you who know me know that my mum means the world to me. For the past 30-odd years, she has devoted her life, her time and all her love to my sister Leonie and me and has never left us in need of anything, ever. It's something I think about often and for which I am eternally grateful.


For a time during our teenage years, my mum was working three jobs simultaneously and raising two pubescent teenage daughters on her own. She never showed us she was struggling and she never let us go without.

Not only did she buy us tickets to every concert, gig or outing that we wanted to go to, she would do the 'hard yards' with us as well. In 1994 she bought us tickets to 3 consecutive Pearl Jam concerts and camped out at Eastern Creek Raceway overnight so we could get right to the front of stage. She then waited in the car for the concert to finish so she could drive us home.

That's just one of the times she's gone way beyond the call of motherly duty to keep us safe, to keep us happy.

I'm still in awe of her beauty - then and now - of her mind, her cooking skills, her athleticism (she goes to the beach every morning to swim laps and walk on the sand), her work ethic and especially her strength. My mother is one ballsy lady and she commands respect wherever she goes. She can also be REALLY scary when she's angry :)


It was Mummie's Birthday on Thursday, so Barry and I drove over and cooked her breakfast in bed (Barry's famous French toast with maple syrup, cinnamon and ice cream). We handed over her present which, for the first time in years, was not something I bought in a store. I made her 3 CDs with a mix of her favourite songs and songs I knew would touch her soul. She loved it. More than anything I could have bought in a store. I love her for that.
The Birthday email she received from Leonie (who lives in Athens) topped her morning off. My sister has inherited my father's writing ability and writes something amazing for Mummie every year. I always know she's read it when she walks out with a tear in her eye.

Nothing we can ever do, say, buy or create will repay her for what she's given us over the years, but hopefully the lives my sister and I lead today and the women we've become make her a proud mother.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Now why the hell would I be proud of you? Do you think that just because you've grown up to be a smart, caring, strong, independent, funny, loving, warm, intelligent, vibrant, hard-working, beautiful, stylish, sensible young lady, that that is enough to make this scary old hag proud? Hell, YES!!!! But no more making me cry now, or the scary side of me will come out! Anything and everything that I've ever done for you and your sister had an ulterior motive... I needed the joy and love that you two bring to my life... So thank you!

Unknown said...

Oh, and can you both learn how to spell Mummy?!!!

wackyapparition said...

Thank you Mumma Synesthesia! All your hard work has paid off... and then some!

Lise said...

So lovely hearing about your relationship with your Mum!! I feel that way about her and miss her terribly being 12000km away!!! She has done so much for me all my lift but especially my early years with my speech which I really appreciate. 2 to 4 hours a day for years!!!

EyeOfTheLeopard said...

Well, now I know where you've got your good looks from. What a groovy Mummy. Happy Birthday :)

Unknown said...

*wipes tear from eye*

That was beautiful :) Your mum looks and sounds beautiful also, which makes sense knowing the person you are.

Happy Birthday Boucci! :)

xo

Unknown said...

Happy belated Birthday Boucci!
hugs and hugs and hugs!!! xx